The Steeplechase Cancer Center at Somerset Medical Center provides comprehensive cancer care all in one place close to home. The large yet welcoming facility houses radiation therapy services (including Knife-Less Surgery), chemotherapy, digital mammography, a clinical research team, oncologists' offices, complementary medicine programs, nutrition counseling, patient navigator services, a resource library and a wellness boutique.
The center is distinguished as:
- A Comprehensive Community Cancer Program by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer - a distinction only achieved by one in four hospitals that treat cancer
- One of the first in New Jersey to offer the state-of-the-art RapidArc radiation treatment to destroy cancer cells
- Home to the Sanofi US Breast Care Program, one of only 12 imaging centers in New Jersey to be named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- A clinical research affiliate of The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, giving patients access to cutting-edge medical treatments through national research studies
- Home to one of only seven Tobacco Quitcenters in New Jersey
- Having an onsite wellness boutique offering cancer patients a wide array of image recovery items, including wigs, prosthetics, skin care products, hats and lingerie
The Steeplechase Cancer Center takes a team approach to ensure the most effective plan of care for each patient. Multidisciplinary "institutes" include medical oncologists, oncologic surgeons, radiation oncologists, radiologists, primary care physicians, pathologists, medical physicists, radiation therapists, certified oncology nurses, social workers, case managers, nutritionists, pharmacists and pastoral care staff. Currently there are four institutes, each focusing on one of the four most common cancers in Somerset County: breast, colorectal, prostate and lung. The Steeplechase Cancer Center offers treatment for nearly all types of cancer.
In addition to advanced diagnostic and treatment services, The Steeplechase Cancer Center offers programs and amenities for patients, families, and the public. Weekly yoga, reiki, jin shin jyutsu and meditation classes are available to all cancer patients, and massage therapy is available by appointment. Wellness and prevention lectures as well as cooking demonstrations are free for the public. The cancer center offers a number of support groups plus outreach programs to underserved communities. In addition, all visitors are invited to use the resource library and to relax in the Frimmer Healing Gardens.
The Steeplechase Cancer Center was named in honor of the Far Hills Race Meeting, one of the most prestigious steeplechase horse races in the country, which has donated more than $17 million to the medical center. The cancer center was made possible through the extraordinary generosity of individuals, organizations, foundations and corporations.
For more information about The Steeplechase Cancer Center, please visit our Web site.