What is the Post-Mastectomy Program?
The post-mastectomy program is a service at Somerset Medical Center's outpatient rehabilitation gym that is designed to address the comprehensive needs of post-mastectomy/post-lumpectomy patients. The program combines occupational therapy and physical therapy techniques to improve patients' quality of life.
Who should be referred to this program?
This program is designed for those who have had a mastectomy or lumpectomy with
or without lymph node dissection and also have:
- Decreased usage of shoulder
- Shoulder or underarm pain during movement
- Tissue tightness related to the surgery or scar tissue
- Axillary webbing
- Decreased ability to complete daily life tasks due to mastectomy-related symptoms
What are the goals of this program?
The goals of the program including helping patients:
- Increase independence
- Increase their mobility
- Increase their ability to complete activities of daily living (dressing, showering, etc.) while using affected area
- Reduce risk of future shoulder pain
- Feel confident enough to begin a home exercise program to help maintain the progress they made during the outpatient program
- Return to their pre-mastectomy quality of life and level of function
How do I register for the program?
A prescription from your doctor is needed to initiate care. Once you have a prescription, please call Somerset Medical Center's Rehabilitation Department at 908-685-2945. You will be registered for a comprehensive evaluation by a physical or occupational therapist, who will then create a customized treatment plan to meet your individual needs.